Are you planning to hire a Los angeles DUI lawyer for your second conviction? If yes, you are in the right place! In this short write up, you will read about the consequences of a second DUI offense.
To begin with, you should hire a Los angeles DUI lawyer. You must hire an attorney and demand for formal hearing. The hearing should happen within 10 days of the conviction/arrest. Never delay the process of hiring a lawyer. That is because skilled attorney can protect you throughout the process. They will make sure every stage in the case is pushed forward smoothly.
“Time” plays a very important role during your second DUI offense. Most courts check if the conviction happens within or outside 5 years. If the conviction happened 5 years after your first DUI incident, it will be treated like a first-time case. You will have mandatory penalties of a first timer. You don’t have to worry about the following penalties:
1) Not qualifying for a hardship license after the DUI case. In most scenarios, your license will be suspended for a short period of time. During these months, you should serve “hard” time. You will not be allowed to drive for 6 to 12 months.
2) You don’t have to think about maximum jail time.
3) You don’t have to worry about fines that range between 1000 and 5000 USD!
4) You don’t have to worry about an ignition interlock device been attached to your vehicle.
If the DUI incident is severe, the driver may not receive a hardship license. Luckily, a professional Los angeles DUI lawyer can help you through the case. They will make sure nothing serious happens.
If the DUI case happened within 5 years of your previous incident, the following requirements will be imposed:
1) You will be subject to driver license revocation period. Your license will be suspended for 12 months.
2) You should spend at least 10 days in jail. Maximum incarceration period if 9 months.
3) You should serve a probation period of 12 months.
4) The court may ask you to pay between 1000 and 2500 USD. If the case was imposed on a minor, the charges can be as high as 4000 USD.
5) You should spend 50 hours in community service.
6) Finally, you should install a mandatory ignition interlock device.